Thursday, May 22, 2008

Continuing my countdown of the top 25 Metal Albums of all time!!

22. A PERFECT CIRCLE : MER DE NOMS (2000) - VIRGIN RECORDS

"A Perfect Circle is not a side project," proclaimed the members of Perfect Circle and it certainly sounds nothing like one. Although the frontman of the band is Tool's James Maynard Keenan, the creator and genius of A Perfect Circle is guitarist/song writer Billy Howerdel who has worked with quite an impressive list of artists, such as The Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, David Bowie and more.

When I bought the album, I wasn't sure what to expect but I thought that it would soon burst out into something that Maynard does in Tool. I had heard the angry anti-"your god" ballad, Judith, and I thought that this would be the way the whole album worked. Then, as he questioned his relationships, his spirituality and his place in the world, the whole album seems to bloom and released delicate pearls like "Orestes," "Magdalena," and "Rose." As a Tool fan, I was not pleased with the pleasantries, but I learnt to appreciate the depth and melodic contribution of APC.

And the lyrics are nothing but ethereal... Just sample a bit of Orestes:

Gotta cut away, clear away
Snip away and sever this
Umbilical residue,
Keeping me from killing you
And from pulling you down with me here,
I can almost hear you scream

Phew! Safe to say that in spite of Tool's influence, APC, and more specifically, Mer De Noms has a life of its own!!

Line-up: Maynard James Keenan, Billy Howerdel, Josh Freese, Jordie White, Paz Lenchantin, Danny Lohner

PS : Also check out their sophomore album, The Thirteenth Step


23. DIO : HOLY DIVER (1983) - WARNER RECORDS

I apologize to the entire world that I did not listen to this album till 1992!! By the time he formed his own band, DIO, Ronnie James Dio has been a vocalist for bands like Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath. If there is anything quintessential about 80's rock, it's Dio. Holy Diver, in my opinion, was one of the greatest releases in that era. It was hard,melodic and had hooks in abundance. Future Def Leppard stringer, Vivian Campbell plays on this album and has some of the greatest guitar licks you'll hear.

Songs like "Rainbow in the Dark" and the title track are metal classics, but it doesn't stop there. Check out "Don't Talk to Strangers", and the excellent "Invisible." This album proved that Dio's departure from Black Sabbath had not affected his spirits. In fact, he sounded most inspired here, aided by his new, hungry backing band. Dio was the heavy metal hobbit and believe me, this is how metal should be!

Line-up : Dio: Ronnie James Dio (vocals, keyboards); Vivian Campbell (guitar); Jimmy Bain (keyboards, bass); Vinny Appice (drums).

PS: Check out Killswitch Engage's cover of "Holy Diver" from Kerrang!! - High Voltage

1 comment:

acidica said...

Another great album.